– The COVID-19 pandemic disproportionately affected vulnerable and marginalized populations (e.g. homeless, people of color, LGBTQ+, sex workers, low-income, and people with a substance use disorder and/or mental health disorder). According to the National Center for Health Statistics, COVID-19 is responsible for more than 110,000 deaths in the U.S., Texas being among the top ten states. Therefore, ABC set-forth a prevention initiative to aid homeless individuals in El Paso and Ciudad Juarez through this health crisis, especially those with preexisting conditions (e.g. human immunodeficiency virus, substance use disorder, hepatitis c, tuberculosis, diabetes, and mental health).
– Since early March 2020, staff members at ABC were in the planning stages to set-up hand-washing stations in homeless encampments to protect and prevent the spread of COVID-19. Before the shelter-in-place order was issued on March 24, 2020, ABC had already established more than 15 stations across the city. That number has now grown to more than 40 hand washing stations across our borderland. With funding from the Paso del Norte Community Foundation, we were able to expand our efforts and set-up more hand-washing stations, distribute individualized camping tents, prepare and distribute COVID-19 prevention kits that include disinfecting wipes, gloves, and face masks. More specifically ABC has expedited the delivery of prevention services because the majority of our do not have a secure source of income and many lost their only source of income since shelter-in-place was enacted.
- Increase the distribution of protection equipment and disinfecting supplies.
- Provide access to educational materials related to COVID-19 and pre-existing risks.
- Deliver alternative social services (e.g. food, emergency housing, medical services, COVID-19 testing.
|Camping Tents Distributed||100|
|COVID-19 Prevention Kits||150|